Answered By: ic
Last Updated: Sep 16, 2021     Views: 9

Web of Science author records are automatically generated when an author publishes content that is indexed by  Web of Science. 

Web of Science uses an algorithm to match publications with author records based on various data elements associated with the item such as:

  • Affiliation
  • Subject matter
  • Co-author
  • Publication history
  • ORCID iD

Clusters of papers that are understood to belong to one author are grouped on the author record.  This is not an author profile or identifier but represents a set of likely papers for that author. 

The reasons this occurs are:

  • One author may end up with more than one author record if they have changed their name or their research focus or collaborated with different groups of authors.
  • It is up to individual authors to claim their author record in Web of Science and confirm which papers belong to them. 
  • The claimed author records are stored in a free public research profile on Publons (a tool to review  peer review activity). 
  • Publons assigns a ResearcherID to any profiles with one or more Web of Science-indexed publications that do not yet have a ResearcherID.
  • Clarivate Analytics owns both Publons and Web of Science, and the ResearcherID is a unique identifier that works across both these platforms.

To claim your author record:

Once you have registered on Publons and imported your publications from Web of Science, you will be assigned a ResearcherID.

If the author search returns multiple author records in your name:

  • Check the boxes for each author record that applies and click ‘Merge Records’ at the top of the list.
  • Update your details via the Author Record Correction Form
  • This includes the option to remove any publications that have been incorrectly assigned to the author record prior to merge option.

If incorrect publications have been included on your author record:

  • Choose the author record and ‘Submit a correction’ from the top page option.
  • This will open the Author Record Correction Form and you can tick the box next to any incorrectly attributed publication/s to remove them from the author record.

Contact Us