Answered By: The Library
Last Updated: Sep 03, 2021     Views: 57

A third party (e.g. publisher) might permit you to include copyright work in your thesis for examination, but this is not the same as permission to make the published material available, via your thesis, in ResearchDirect.


If you have included material with third party copyright, you must either:

obtain permission to include that material


    • publications included in the thesis complies with your publisher copyright agreement. 
    • If your thesis includes published articles, the accepted manuscript of these articles can usually be included in the ResearchDirect copy. 
    • In this instance, you should also provide a link to the publisher’s version of the record.
    • Informed consent has been obtained for the use of research participants’ photographs (e.g. patients), and particularly for the use of images of Indigenous Australians.
    • the identity of participants in the research is adequately protected.


omit it from the ResearchDirect version of your thesis

    • a notation has been included where the material has been removed and, if possible, a link to an online location for the published material.

For copyright information, what constitutes third party copyright in creative works, refer to University Copyright.