Answered By: ic @westernsydney.edu.au Last Updated: Nov 11, 2015 Views: 488
Below are two sets of conversion instructions. One for EndNote version 8 or higher users and the other is for version 7 or lower users.
Converting EndNote databases (version 8 or higher):
- Log into your RefWorks account.
- Select References, Import EndNote V8 Database
- Click the Browse button and locate your EndNote .enl file
- Specify a folder to import the references to (optional: your references will automatically appear in the Last Imported Folder)
- Click the Import button.
Converting EndNote databases (version 7 or lower):
- From EndNote, select the correct Output Style for the export. Under the File menu select Output Styles.
- From the list of output styles select RefMan (RIS) Export select it.
Note: If you do not see this format, open the Style Manager and check the RefMan format. Close the Style Manager and repeat steps 1 and 2.
- Select the references you want to export.
- Under the Reference menu select Show Selected (or Show All if you wish to export the entire database).
- Under the File menu select Export.
- A dialog box appears for you to select the location where you want to save the file. Type a file name and select a location for importing into RefWorks. Select Text as your Save As type and click Save.
- Go into RefWorks and from the References menu select Import.
- Select Desktop Biblio. Mgt. Software as your Import Filter and EndNote as your Database. Browse for and select the file you just created from EndNote.
- Click Import.
Note: When importing large amounts of references, it is recommended to import no more than 2500 records (or 3MB of files) at a single time. This will ensure a successful import.